Monday, May 05, 2008

Goings On


Not too long ago I applied for a job with Human Rights Watch in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. If I get it I will take it.

I would really love to go for a number of reasons. For one, it has been really tough for me being separated from my passion (the former Soviet Union). Granted it is not as if I haven't done anything related to it: I have been taking Russian classes, reading quite a bit in branching into legal topics, going to Brighton Beach, and unwittingly going to multiple Russian Speaking Uzbek Jewish barbers. None the less, for something at the center of my academic interests and that I want to be at the center of my professional life. What kind of professional life? I have no idea, but I am looking for something to push me and force me to use the skills I have and to push me.

Of course, there is also the fact that I miss being abroad in general, and Central Asia in particular. I have to admit I would be very excited to be using my Russian on a daily basis again and to learn Uzbek. After law school I also have to admit that the idea of working a 9-5 is also extremely appealing. I could start to sing again and learn Uzbek songs! In addition to just generally being a bit more chill (though I think I have done pretty well as law students go). It will also come as a surprise to no one that I also find the history of Russia-dominated Uzbekistan fascinating.

So we'll see. What I am really looking for is a galvanizing experience. Uzbekistan is a country where human rights violations are quite prevalent and the position involves keeping track of the many political prisoners in addition to taking notes and trials. I have to admit that I do not think it would be an easy experience, but I think that is exactly what I need. If I continue with law school I really want to have a focus and to really know what I want to do and to have relevant work experience. Also I mean this would have to like tipple my street cred right? (Shh, no comments about multiples of zero)


No comments: