Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Back to Basics

I am having a down day. I am sick and I don't know how sick (i.e. how far behind schedule I will end up being). I also had one minor incident that suddenly made me look at a lot of problems that I had been fine with with less positive light. Isn't it annoying when that happens?

Anywho, I am starting improv again! My new class starts this Saturday and I am really looking forward to it. Improv is my main form of artistic expression and the discipline has shaped a lot of the way I tell stories and look at any sort of performance (films, stories, theater, and so on).

It will be the first time in a long time in a while I have done improv. In Vienna I went to a place that did pick-up improv classes. It was on Monday nights so the timing wasn't too good. I liked it, it was fun to do improv in German again, but it wasn't geared towards any sort of a performance and it was usually just a succession of exercises that weren't really building on one another (having led rehearsal I am critical about this stuff). That sort of thing can be fine, usually when the people are cool/good enough that it does not matter, but the performers weren't too hot, and there were different people each time so it was hard to get to know people.

So now I am back in New York, my Mecca of improv. I have seen a lot of good improv being back, but without the performing something has still been missing.

I don't know. I am sure I will be rusty, but I am just ready to perform again. I really love the creativity, the group effort, and the sharpness of it all.

I will let you know how it goes.

Update: I suppose this will teach me to count my chickens before they are hatched, my improv class has been delayed till December (boo!). This happened with the last class I tried to sign up for too, which ended being canceled. Grrr. Despite, this my mood is quite good today.

No comments: